Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hippo Trap

Tonight as I pieced together the ragged and ragtag effort that is this hippo mask I jokingly asked Ryan if it looked like a hippo. He said 'no, it looks like something you'd catch a hippo in, a hippo trap." Now dare I say that he is overestimating my abilities here. This could maybe catch a pygmy hippo, well maybe a baby pygmy hippo that could contort into a smallish area. Also dare I say that we are not going for the pygmy hippo with this costume....okay enough silly stuff.

Tonight I cut the rest of the lips out and glued them together, I'm going to work on shaving them a bit better but thank goodness paper mache is a little forgiving and I might get away with it yet in terms of the rough nature of the outline. I also reinforced the head with casting tape and fleshed out the lower lip with casting tape. I have decided to have the lower jaw be a separate piece that I can attach at the parade route as I worry about the teeth being injured during transport. Also I want the jaw to be moveable to not encourage any damage to the mache. I will put a small piece of fabric in the space that will flex with the jaw. Or at least that's what I think I'm doing...I guess we shall see. Pics to come tomorrow or maybe the next day. Tomorrow is cupcake day! :)

hippo lips!

No comments:

Post a Comment